Ask any Asian about Nestum and they will probably reminisce about school day breakfasts – sprinkling Nestum into their Milo or having it the original way: slurping it up from a cup with a spoon.
Nestum cereal is so easy to make. All you need to do is add some water or milk and you get a delicious beverage that’s heavier than milk but lighter than oat porridge.
What is Nestum cereal?
Nestum cereal is not the same as Nestum Baby Cereal which you may be more familiar with at the shops. Original Nestum cereal can be eaten by both children and adults alike. Packed with 13 vitamins (including Vitamin A, D, C, B1, B2 and iron) and a selection of whole wheat, multigrain, rice and corn, it makes a highly nutritious drink.
The great thing about Nestum is you can also use it to make the most delicious dishes and snacks. In fact, some of your favourite dishes may have Nestum cereal in it without you even realising it. Here are our top 3 favourite Nestum dishes.
Nestum cereal recipes
1. Nestum Butter Prawns
Have you had these delectable butter prawns before? Look closely, and you’ll see that the buttery sauce is fried in Nestum cereal. The Nestum cereal gives it that mysterious crunchy quality – as well as a nutritional boost.
You can use a special prawn cereal mix but if you have a can of Nestum cereal sitting in your cupboard, why not give it a try? The prawns are deep fried, then tossed in a cereal mix made of Nestum cereal, milk powder, sugar and aromatic curry leaves.
- 10 whole large prawns
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 2-3 red chillis
- Cooking oil
- 100g Nestum cereal
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tbsp full cream milk powder
- ½ tbsp salt
- Clean the prawns by slitting open and removing the vein inside. Trim off the antennas. Pat the prawns dry with a paper towel.
- Deep fry the prawns in a deep pot until golden and crunchy. Remove and place onto a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- In a bowl, whisk the Nestum cereal mixture and set aside. Using a frying pan, stir fry the chillis and curry leaves in butter until fragrant.
- Add the Nestum cereal mixture to the fried butter and stir fry for 1 minute. Add the prawns and mix everything well. Add salt and sugar to taste.
2. Nestum Lunar New Year cookies
Chinese New Year is just around the corner, which means you might be looking for some cookie recipe ideas. Cookies such as love letters, peanut biscuits and cornflake cookies come to mind but how about trying Nestum cereal cookies? If you like the taste of Nestum, you’ll love the taste of these cookies.
- For the cookie dough:
- 50g Nestum cereal
- 100g butter, softened at room temperature
- 60g icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 of one egg
- 120g all purpose flour
- 10g cornflour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- To coat the cookies:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk
- About 20g Nestum cereal for coating
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line baking tray with baking paper.
- Spread 50g of Nestum cereal onto one tray and bake until fragrant (about 7 mins). Set aside to cool.
- Beat butter, icing sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add egg bit by bit and beat well after each addition.
- Sift flour, cornflour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the butter mixture. Add toasted Nestum cereal and use a spoon to mix until mixture is combined.
- Transfer mixture onto a plastic wrap and use the wrap to knead slightly until mixture forms a dough.
- Combine egg yolk and milk to form a dipping egg wash mixture.
- Use a tablespoonful of dough and shape it into a ball.Dip one side into the egg wash and coat it with extra Nestum cereal.
- Arrange cookie balls onto the lined trays with the coated side up.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the tray for about 10-15 mins, then transfer to a wire rack.
3. Nestum Popcorn chicken
Who doesn’t love popcorn chicken? This tasty popcorn chicken recipe is enriched with Nestum goodness. You get a golden delicious crunch – plus all the wholewheat, multigrain and added vitamins that come with Nestum.
- 300g chicken fillets, cut into cubes 200g
- Nestum cereal
- Cooking oil for frying
- 1 cube red fermented bean curd
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon corn flour
- Marinate the chicken in the marinade for 1 hour.
- Place the Nestum into a big bowl. Add the chicken and coat evenly.
- In a wok, deep fry the chicken on medium heat. When the chicken turns golden brown, turn the heat to high and fry for an additional 30 seconds to get that extra crispy crunch.
- Remove fried chicken pieces and place on kitchen towels to soak up excess oil.
- Serve with mayonnaise, tomato sauce or chilli sauce.
Buy Nestum from Asian groceries online
As you can see, Nestum cereal is more than your ordinary breakfast cereal. You can use it to make all kinds of dishes. Not just the ones listed here but also things like Nestum stir-fried chicken, Nestum French toast or Nestum fried tofu.
Nestum is a handy ingredient to have in the kitchen, whether you want to make a quick and nutritious drink or to add some zing to your cooking. To find a delicious can of Nestum, check your local Asian grocer or buy it online now at Asian Pantry.